1859 – 1878 ROCKFORD SCHOOLS – from D. R. FARNHAM’S HISTORY OF WRIGHT COUNTY 1915
There are seven school districts in the town, and two parts of districts in connection with the town of Frankfort. Four substantial frame school houses and three log houses which will be replaced by frame houses this year. In each district, schools are taught from four to nine months in each year. The first school house was built in the village in 1859; the house was 24 by’ 30 feet and well finished and used tor nearly twenty years; it was built without a tax, by voluntary contributions. The first schools in the village were kept in dwelling houses or temporary quarters. In the spring of 1878, a move was made to build a new house. After many special district meetings at which the friends of education worked hard to induce the citizens to vote for a good school house, a compromise was made with the enemies of progress and a house was built that year, 28 by 40 feet, 22 feet posts, with two school rooms at a cost of about $1,400. The house is well finished and furnished and is comfortable and convenient, and very pleasantly situated, but very soon a larger house will be called for, as the present one is full. The persons who worked so diligently and faithfully to prevent building and larger or more expensive than the present need, begin to see their mistake; a larger school house must be built or same of the scholars turned out –160 scholars are enrolled– which is more than the seating capacity of the school house. The citizens generally are in favor of good schools and well paid, first class teachers, but a strong party in the district are opposed to anything that costs money, and in the past this old fogy, cheap school and cheap teacher element has been in the majority, and the village schools have not always been successful. The present teachers are L. W. Elliot, principal, and Miss M. Cheadle in primary department. School officers – George Guptil, director; Jeff. Benner, treasurer; Albert Roberts, Clerk. School term nine months. The district is joint school districts No. 112, in Wright and Hennepin counties and is a large district.